Wednesday, June 17, 2009

saying goodbye.


In a few days, I will say goodbye to you for the last time in this lifetime. Mom has asked me to write something to honor your memory and I am not sure I will do you justice but here goes.

Although I grew up visiting you almost once a month throughout my childhood, the truth is I can't remember ever having an in depth conversation with you mostly because of the language barrier. But like most things, actions speak louder than words. For you love meant laughter and lots of it! I can always remember a time when you were laughing whether it was by the lake fishing or at a family poker game. In difficult times, you taught us that laughter truly is the best medicine.

Your smile- constant, beaming and warm- ALWAYS greeted me when I arrived and was always followed by a chuckle and a hug. Having fun was your job title. Showing all of us that fun was always possible in even the most mundane activities only drew us to you more.

Your strength was legendary. Having survived two heart attacks, a dog chasing episode that left you with a hole in your skull to drain the blood from, and in the last few months a couple of debilitating strokes, you never complained. Through the suffering you carried yourself with dignity even flashing that famous smile before leaving this world.

So thank you for being the greatest father, grandfather and role model. You taught through your actions and I am forever indebted to you for your kindness and loving nature. We will miss you too much but will always be comforted by the fact that you will always be able to watch over us for as long as we live.

I love you for eternity ong.

P.S. Happy 95th Birthday!

2 comments: